Photo of Howard in Mongolia

Photo of Howard in Mongolia
.....Howard in Mongolia on a Horseback Riding Adventure, August, 2009.....

Howard and Rebecca in Retirement at a Cafe in San Francisco

Howard and Rebecca in Retirement at a Cafe in San Francisco
................Howard and Rebecca Beginning Retirement at a Cafe in San Francisco................

Friday, October 14, 2011

Singapore

I enjoyed my brief visit to Singapore. It has emerged as a first world nation,
perhaps the most orderly and well-functioning nation in the world. Buildings
everywhere appear to be in good repair, laws are rigidly observed, no litter is
to be seen, and everyone appears to be prosperous. Indicative of the Singapore
mind set, during one of my walks about the city, I was sternly warned by a local
police against jay walking (the common practice in Malaysia) and was told by
another official that taxis were only available by queueing at a local taxi
stand. Every taxi I took charged me by the meter, without exception, as is the
law.

I stayed in Little India, in a charming quiet clean little hostel, Checker's Hotel,
in a narrow street amidst the Indian shops and restaurants of that quarter. I ate
well, relocating my favorite Indian restaurant, Mohameds, to enjoy masala dosa,
mutton curry, naan, and other Indian delights.

The city has some first class museums, the Asian Civilizations Museum, the Peranakan Museum, and the Singapore Art Museum. The Peranakan Museum featured the historical artifacts of the Chinese immigrant population in Singapore. The Asian Civilizations Museum had a display from the sunken warriors collection in Xian, China.

Commerce booms everywhere in Singapore. It is an orderly, comfortable, first world experience that should likely prove in contrast to my next destination on the trip: Sri Lanka.

No comments:

Post a Comment